thoughts and reviews on music, movies, and theatrical productions

Pages

March 17, 2019

Dear Evan Hansen


Everyone can relate to feeling alone. "Dear Evan Hansen" is a story of finding your way, and learning that you matter. 

Yesterday I got to see "Dear Evan Hansen" on it's national tour. This is one of the shows I was looking forward to most this season. It was marvelous. I was so moved by the gripping story, intricate characters, and extraordinary music. It really captured the feeling of being alone, one that everyone can relate to. I shed a tear multiple times, especially in the beginning for some reason. I could feel that the audience was really moved by this show. At one point there was the biggest audible "oh no" from the crowd that I have ever heard. Everyone was completely invested in this story, following Evan as he works himself deeper and deeper into his lies, confusion, and lack of self-worth. I could feel that...

...the audience was completely invested in the story, everyone was rooting so hard for Evan.

*this review may have spoilers.



Stephen Christopher Anthony was the perfect Evan Hansen. 

One of the things I love about theatre is that whoever you see that night in a role is amazing, and you couldn't imagine anyone else in their place. Stephen Christopher Anthony captured the audience with the truth of his character. He made great choices, and fought hard. I absolutely fell in love with his character.

I really enjoyed seeing such a small cast. With only eight actors, somehow they made it feel like a full, larger than life show. The one criticism I would add is that some of the lines felt just a tad unnatural, with unneeded paused between words, trying to force lines to sound lyrical. Some of the moments felt too rehearsed, like you could tell that the actors moved to the same places every night. I was itching to see something in the moment, the thing that made that night's performance it's own show. I really felt like I got this from Stephen Christopher Anthony...

...I could feel his truthfulness in the moment, and how he was experiencing the story in a different way every night. 

I loved how the sets looked like they were a part of the internet. This is a show that you need to watch from the balcony. From above it looked like the actors were almost floating, the projections onto the floor added dimension and transformed the stage. The one set that I had mixed feelings about was the final scene. I loved the curtain rising and the light filling the stage. It was so bright, I felt like I was blinded. It really gave the ending this lovely feeling of openness, and you can feel how Evan's life has changed, it was reflected in the set design. But, there was something about the orchard that didn't vibe with me. I would have liked something a little more breezy, the feeling of the peace of the outdoors was lost. The internet theme got in the way of the outdoors, when it could have been used to make a big impact. The contrast of the world online and the nature outside would have been lovely to see. Evan loves trees, I wanted to feel why he loved them in the set, that feeling of stillness and peace. 


Evan is known for his signature blue collared shirt and cast, but the part of his outfit that I fell in love with was his shoes.

The costumes were made to be realistic to the common style of dress today. Evan wore such simple grey tennis shoes, and I have no idea why, but for me they added a lot to his character. The other costume that I thought worked really well for the show was Connor's. With his long hair and dull-colored baggy clothing, he looked like any kid you could know. It was very simple, but realistic. It worked really well for the story.


Watching "Waving Through a Window" live onstage is one of the best moments I have ever seen in a show.

It felt unreal to be actually watching it. It was such a ecstatic moment, one that I will never forget. The music was incredible. Numbers like "Waving Through a Window" and "You Will Be Found" filled the auditorium with their drama and emotion, and songs like "Words Fail" made me lean in to hear more.

The story was so complex and emotional. I just wanted to tell Evan that everything was going to be okay. It was so sad. The truth that Connor was so unknown is something that the characters had to work through the entire show, and even at the end it is something that is hard to even comprehend. This show makes you think about the importance of reaching out, and knowing that you are not alone, everyone can understand what you are going though.

My favorite part of the show is how Evan is able to get to the other side. To show that you can learn from your mistakes, even when it seems like you have done irreparable damage to yourself and others. Evan's journey is so amazing to watch, and it gives people hope. It shows that you can feel good again.

Like all of the best shows, "Dear Evan Hansen" has become a part of who I am.

-Celia Boldizar




No comments:

Post a Comment