thoughts and reviews on music, movies, and theatrical productions

Pages

August 2, 2019

From a Distance: On Your Feet!


Moving music, charming characters, and an inspiring story

To be honest, before I actually saw it, I thought On Your Feet! was going to be a joke. I did not have high expectations going into it, just forming my opinions based on the title and playbill cover. I was completely proved wrong. The show that I thought was going to nothing more than mediocre turned out to be one of my all time favorites.

Most elements were very simple, the costumes and sets were nothing out of the ordinary. They were nice and worked well for the show, but very straightforward. The music of course was amazing, so fun and catchy. I completely fell in love with the songs, especially "Here We Are", "Get On Your Feet", and the show-stopping finale that was a mash up of all of the fabulous melodies. I listened to the cast album on a regular basis a whole year after wards! But my favorite thing that really stood out and made On Your Feet! an amazing show was how heartfelt it was.

Gloria and Emilio's story is so romantic.

My favorite of the cast was Mauricio Martinez as Emilio Estefan. He was so charismatic and masculine, giving the story this feeling of safety and passion. Christie Prades as Gloria Estefan was also marvelous. She really did Gloria's story justice with her lovable attitude and wonderful voice. Together they totally brought to life this perfect and captivating love story.


On Your Feet was so inspiring. It made me feel like I could accomplish anything if I set my mind to it. It gave me a feeling of hope and                  peacefulness. At the same time...


It emphasized the importance of spending time with the people that matter most to you.

I will always remember the night I saw On Your Feet!, as it was one of my favorite nights at the theatre. It was a cold January night, and when I walked out of the theatre and it was snowing. The ground had already been covered lightly, and white flakes were                                                                       continuing to fall.

The high of just seeing this uplifting musical and the snowy weather made for one of my most magical nights.

-Celia Boldizar


2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this musical before: it looks and sounds so good! I'll have to check it out!

    Hanne || losingthebusyness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! I love finding new musicals that you wouldn't expect that you would love.
      Thanks for the comment,
      Celia

      Delete