thoughts and reviews on music, movies, and theatrical productions

Pages

July 14, 2019

From a Distance: Waitress



Hello Everybody! 

This is the first post of my new mini series, "From a Distance". I am really excited about these posts because I am going to revisit my favorite Broadway shows from the 2017 - 2019 season and look at them a year later. In 2018 I started writing about the Broadway shows that I have the privilege of seeing when they come to my city. I wrote about all of those shows, but now it is summer and I have nothing to write about. I thought it would be interesting to see how my opinions change overtime, and how praise and critics grow or die in the light of day.

The first show I'm going to be discussing is Waitress. This is one of my favorite shows, and I only love it more the longer it has been since I have seen it. When I think to myself what show I would want to see again from the 2017 - 2018 season, it is the one I would most often choose.


Waitress is heartfelt, intoxicating, and feminine.


From an all female team, this musical is most certainly one of my all time favorites. Whereas some shows have won me over with their extreme grandiosity, Waitress was able to captivate me with it's simplicity. I loved the funny characters, catchy tunes, and emotional themes. The story is seemingly simple at first, but turns into a narrative that is so captivating. I could feel the feminine influence, which was so refreshing. It was a wonderful mix of fun romances and personal growth.

Jenna's journey is honest and endearing. 

The character Jenna is so good. She turns from being unfeeling, with walls up on all sides of her, to honest, soft, strong, and vulnerable. I was so lucky to be able to see Emily Koch as Jenna. I absolutely love it when I get to see an understudy shine, and she did an amazing performance. To me, it makes the night so much more special when I get to see people who are not the regular performers.

I loved the lighting design for this show. The way that natural light was mimicked was beautiful. For example, sunlight appeared to be shining through window blinds, creating a stripped appearance on the floor. Also, the feeling of an early morning was portrayed beautifully in the opening scene when they are opening up the diner. The lighting was really the aesthetic element that stood out to me. Along with that, the sets served the story perfectly and were exactly what they needed to be. I loved the choice of having the band onstage as part of the diner.

I do have to say, "Take It From an Old Man" was a low point. A moment that was supposed to be sweet was actually quite boring. It felt strange to me that that particular character was singing that much. It took away from the mystery of his character. On the flip side of that, the star of the show was Jeremy Morse as Ogie. The audience absolutely loved him, he was so quirky and funny, even doing cartwheels across the stage.



A relationship so enthralling and melodic that you will never be truly satiated. 


Winning the award for the song I will never get sick of is "Bad Idea". This number is one of my personal all time favorites, with it's bouncy, seductive quality. Since May of 2018 I have listened to it on repeat countless times. Jenna and Dr. Pomatter's relationship is passionate and gripping, with tender romantic moments holding their story together. Absolutely my favorite relationship I have seen onstage.

Having seen Waitress over a year ago now, I can look back on how lovely it was. It is a modern musical with a simple classic feel. I still listen to the cast album regularly. I have not yet gotten bored of it, and I don't think I ever will.

Positively sweet. 
-Celia Boldizar


No comments:

Post a Comment